Head of Linux Platform - Automation
We are currently supporting a successful global company in the Finance / Investment Technology space who is looking to hire a talented Linux Leader to be the Head of Linux for the firm which encompasses engineering, architecture, operations and production support. They have around 7,000 Linux Servers and 80% of their server estate is Linux. All of their processes run on linux, including trading infrastructure, low latency services, and back office processes so this is the most important role for the infrastructure team to fill at this time. Ideally you will have experience working in a mid-size company (1000 to 3000 employees) managing a mid-size team (10 to 20 employees) that is distributed globally. You will have a mix of people skills but be able to roll up your sleeves or be a player/coach when needed. If we find someone with more leadership experience we can compromise some on the technical requirements.
We are a highly automated shop and are looking for someone who talks about Linux Service in terms of automation. We've ferreted out most of the manual processes already and are in the process of making automation a way of life. From a business perspective you will be communicating with a team of almost 200 portfolio managers to understand requirements, plan strategic roadmaps and be an escalation point for production troubleshooting. The bottom line for this role from a business perspective is to improve our time to market and our ability to deploy servers quickly in a consistent manner. We've already gotten these processes down from months down to weeks and some down to a few days. We need to enable our portfolio managers to get capacity quickly so they run the necessary simulations and can fail fast and move on if needed.
- Exercise thought leadership and innovation in the resolution of technical challenges, as well as in the creation of long-term technical roadmaps for the Linux platform
- Drive innovation in all aspects of the Linux space, improve automation, implement self service capabilities and evolve the core platform, influence partner teams as necessary
- Create robust platform automation strategy at an in depth technical level and drive individual team members to realize that strategy
- Manage execution of a wide variety of technical projects and own the platform book of work, juggle competing priorities and drive team to meet committed dates
- Gather customer requirements, write project plans, seek technical and financial approval, and drive project progress, including hands-on participation as necessary
- Act as escalation manager for highly critical business requests, responsible for driving team members to meet challenging SLAs and for working across teams to achieve a common goal
- Provide input into annual budget and workforce planning for technology life cycle management events, participate in the deployment of these plans on a global basis
- Actively participate in production outage incidents, ensuring root-cause analysis is identified and knowledge gained is applied for process improvement
- Develop and maintain a complete set of product and component roadmaps for all Linux platform technologies
- Develop tactical and strategic technical solutions that will address business and IT requirements. Implement proofs-of-concepts for innovative designs to enhance competitive advantage.
- Develop processes, procedures and best practices to ensure managed environments maintain the highest levels of availability, quality and performance
- 10+ years of experience in the Linux space with a focus on automation.
- 5+ years of experience managing IT staff is required.
- Strong automation experience. Chef, Puppet, Ansible or other similar Configuration Management tools.
- Financial services experience is preferred but not required. Ability to adjust to the environment and different challenges of a Hedge Fund are more important.
- Low latency experience would be a plus
- Excellent inter-personal skills required to work closely with business partners, engineering, operations and vendors
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills with a service oriented mindset
- Quick learner, detail oriented; demonstrable thoroughness and strong ownership of work
- Good team player with a strong willingness to participate and help others
- Able to prioritize in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment; high sense of urgency