Linux Platform Technical Lead
We are currently supporting a successful global company in the Finance / Investment Technology space who is looking to hire a talented Linux Linux Technical lead within their Linux Infrastructure team which encompasses engineering, architecture, operations and production support. They have around 7,000 Linux Servers and 80% of their server estate is Linux. All of their processes run on linux, including trading infrastructure, low latency services, and back office processes so this is the most important role for the infrastructure team to fill at this time.
We are a highly automated shop and are looking for someone who talks about Linux Service in terms of automation. We've ferreted out most of the manual processes already and are in the process of making automation a way of life. From a business perspective you will be communicating with a team of almost 200 portfolio managers to understand requirements, plan strategic roadmaps and be an escalation point for production troubleshooting. The bottom line for this role from a business perspective is to improve our time to market and our ability to deploy servers quickly in a consistent manner. We've already gotten these processes down from months down to weeks and some down to a few days. We need to enable our portfolio managers to get capacity quickly so they run the necessary simulations and can fail fast and move on if needed.
- Work closely with the diverse business teams within the firm to develop configurations aimed at repeatable build and configuration management
- Help drive a critical automation effort to bring consistent configuration to a diverse Unix fleet
- Lead a small team. Mentor junior team members in best-practice Unix administration techniques
- Own technical projects and drive them to successful completion, including requirements gathering, engineering, deployment, and ongoing support
- Participate in 7x24x365 support for the company’s Linux service as necessary, some late night and weekend work will be required
- 10+ years of experience in the Linux space with a focus on automation.
- Experience leading / managing a small team of 3-5 people is preferred but not required. Technical fit is more important
- Strong automation experience. Chef, Puppet, Ansible or other similar Configuration Management tools.
- Strong scripting skills (one or more of; sh, bash, Ruby, Perl, Powershell) required
- Good knowledge of at least once compiled language (C/C++/Java preferable)
- Experience and skill in troubleshooting and performance tuning hardware and operating systems
- Extensive knowledge of Unix operating systems, especially RHEL/CentOS
- Financial services experience is preferred but not required. Ability to adjust to the environment and different challenges of a Hedge Fund are more important.
- Low latency experience would be a plus